Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Act
If you were injured in a car accident where no automobile insurance exists to respond to your claim, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries or property damage from the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund.
You may be eligible for:
- accident benefits if you suffered an injury
- death and funeral benefits on behalf of someone who died
- compensation for personal injury or property damage (except for vehicles)
The Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund is the last resort for compensation if you were injured in an accident and no other insurance is available.
Who can apply
You can apply for compensation from the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund if you:
- live in Ontario
- were involved in a collision in Ontario where no one had auto insurance
- were injured or have property damage worth over $100
For example, you might be eligible for compensation if you do not have access to insurance and were injured in a car accident where you:
- weren’t in a vehicle (for example, you were walking or cycling) and the driver of the vehicle involved was not insured
- were a passenger in a vehicle and neither driver was insured
- can’t identify the other vehicle in a hit-and-run accident or the vehicle was stolen